About the program
CSPG GeoMatch is a community program aiming to support the scientific, technical and professional development of CSPG members by providing opportunities to forge and develop mentor-mentee relationships between members of the society.
The CSPG facilitates the matching of both mentors and mentees at virtual and/or in-person events and provides other opportunities for both groups to network and collaborate on a regular basis.
As a mentor, you can:
- Get a great sense of personal growth and fulfilment by helping your mentee learn more and advance their careers. It is a productive way to give back to the community and it doesn’t cost anything!
- Learn new technical and non-technical skills, through exchanging experiences and best practices with your mentees and/or other mentors in the program and get a chance to reinforce/refresh your own knowledge.
- Significantly improve upon your verbal and written communication skills. Dealing with mentors and mentees from different backgrounds and experiences can enhance the way you communicate. You will embrace new styles of communication to help you present your message in the most comprehensible way possible.
- Help improve your personal brand. Adding a mentorship opportunity to your resume demonstrates leadership skills which can help you stand out from the crowd!
- Meet like-minded people in the industry and expand your network.
- Receive professional development hours.
As a mentee, you get:
- Opportunity to network with other mentees and with multiple mentors, creating and enhancing your personal network of relationships in the industry.
- A unique opportunity to learn from an experienced professional in your field.
- Professional and personal support to enhance your chances of success in these challenging industry conditions.
- An opportunity to expand and broaden your technical and non-technical skill set.
Who can apply?
Active CSPG members can apply to become mentors or mentees. All professional experience ranges are eligible to participate as mentors and mentees.
All applications will be reviewed by the CSPG mentorship committee and applicants will be notified if their applications become approved.
• Mentors and mentees must be active CSPG members and reside in Canada.
• Mentors and mentees must be available to spend 1-2 hours per month to meet each other.
The mentoring relationship is one year after which, mentors and mentees may re-apply to the program to be re-matched with another mentor/mentee. Please download the CSPG membership Code of Conduct document and familiarize yourself with it.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the CSPG mentorship program, please complete the GeoMatch Application and submit it. Only active CSPG members are eligible to participate. Upon approval, you will receive an email welcoming you to the group of your choice and will be automatically added to the email announcement list of the program and the CSPG newsletter.
Read the introductory article from the GeoMatch committee here.
Wendy Shier, Committee Chair
Jeff Webber, Co-Chair
Omid Haeri Ardakani