Upcoming Division Talk
Sustainability and Renewability of Geothermal Energy in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin.
Speaker: Nelson Molina Giraldo, Ph.D., P.Eng., Fluid Domains Inc.
Date: Thursday, December 9, 2021 | 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Vision: to educate CSPG Members about the Global Geothermal Industry through knowledge sharing from integrated geoscientific disciplines with the goal of highlighting the highly relevant skills of hydrogeologists, petroleum geologists, mining geologists, geophysicists and geomechanics specialists. Special focus will be given to emerging Canadian Projects.
The Division will hold a series of brown bag lunches annually.
Lunch talks will start with a “snapshot of a producing geothermal project” alternating between igneous and sedimentary plays.
Preliminary ideas for talks in 2019-2020:
1) Geothermal 101 – focus on play types (including igneous), the global production of geothermal energy and the uses of geothermal energy.
2) An overview of the nascent Canadian Geothermal Industry – focus on research and development and emerging plays
3) Characterization of geothermal resources – focus on key parameters for defining resources/reserves and how to determine them.
4) Mapping hydrothermal reservoirs or hot sedimentary aquifers – a workflow for getting started. Highlighting the relevant skill sets of hydrogeologists and petroleum geologists (Part 1).
5) Spotlight on new technologies – drilling, surface facilities or subsurface and the implications for development.
6) Geo-Modelling of geothermal reservoirs
7) Case Studies of existing geothermal plays
Division success is dependent on Member interest and enthusiastic volunteers with a passion for knowledge sharing. If you have an idea for a talk please contact one of the committee members listed below.
Click here to view presenter guidelines
Chair: Jeanine Vany
Geothermal Technical Division Sponsor