The CSPG is committed to offering its membership the opportunity to learn and explore through various methods of education; one of them is via Field Courses.
Under the current constraints of a COVID-19 world, the Field Course volunteer committee has been looking at the re-invention of CSPG field courses to best serve the membership now, and in the future.
We have embarked on the development and execution of various types of field courses (listed below).
- GeoTours – imagine a field trip that is more like a geologic vacation. Locations that might be on your geologic “bucket list”? We are interested in designing geologic field trips with that kind of flavour and luxury. Our first GeoTour is an 8 day rafting trip through the Grand Canyon for May 2022, and is already sold out! We have a waiting list for the next trip in 2023.
- GeoWalks - “Go Take a Walk” and “Go Take a Drive”…..trips in and around Calgary and Alberta leveraging off of the theme first started by “Go Take a Hike”. Some trips may be designed to be self-guided and interactive on social media.
- GeoHikes - Traditional one-day or multi-day field courses– like we’ve done in the past, but also expanding to new themes such as Geothermal. We have a geothermal trip planned later this year in September 2021.
- Conventions and Conferences - We support and contribute via Field Trips to geologic conventions and meetings all year long (e.g. Gussow, GeoConvention, GAC-MAC))
- Virtual Field Trips – the first of which were presented at Gussow. This is a specific and brand new ‘niche’ of field course, that may be 1 to 2 hours in length offered at an economic cost.
Look for articles in each edition of the Reservoir written by our committee members about upcoming field courses and trips, and please give us your feedback and ideas!